Monday, October 10, 2016

Chicken in the Pot

Well,  I couldn't wait any longer.  I made chicken and dumplings and they were divine!  I had such enjoyment getting to make a wonderful homemade meal and then the pleasure of sitting down with my husband to eat it.  Comfort food is so necessary and I consider chicken and dumplings definitely a comfort food. Next, I'm going to bake an apple pie.  I believe my friend, Laura made an apple pie this weekend but forgot that I was her friend.

This weekend was beautiful and I enjoyed every moment of it.  I only wish it would have lasted a bit longer.  The weather was perfect.  We got a lot of things done around the place to get it prepared for the winter.  I got the rest of my apples put up and ended up with 8 gallons in the freezer.  I will make pies, breads, applesauce, and anything else I can think of to make out of apples.  I bet I managed to make a fresh apple cake too.

Apple Cake
Ingredients
    Cake
  • 1 c vegetable oil
  • 2 c sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c chopped pecans
  • 3 c peeled and chopped apples
  • Frosting
  • 1/2 c butter
  • 1 c brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 c evaporated milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Instructions
    For the cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13? pan. Combine oil, sugar, and eggs. Stir in flour and baking soda. Add vanilla, pecans, and apples. Spread in prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool for 2 hours. Then prepare frosting.
  2. For the frosting
  3. Boil all ingredients in a small saucepan for 2 minutes. Set pan in bowl filled with ice water. Beat icing until of spreading consistency. Spread over top of cake.

1 comment: