Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Dog Days of Summer

I believe the the dog days of summer are here!  The heat is intense on the homestead.  We have started watering the East Garden because the hubby is determined to have those luscious tomatoes we have waited for so long. We have plenty on the vines, they just need a little more time to ripen.  Our corn is coming along nicely and I can't wait to sink my teeth into the sweet sugary taste as it pops into my mouth....am I hungry or what?

I have tried to fix summer dinners that will appeal to the taste buds even though we have been outside working all day.  Last night I made Iron Skillet Hamburger steak with steamed yellow squash and fresh sliced tomatoes.

I am working at the farmer's market to sell the excess that I have.  The market has several hard working farmers that show up on Saturday to sell their goods. I love visiting with people of the community and being able to provide homegrown vegetables that they can afford.

I have put up 25 pints of various pickles.  I am waiting on the okra so I can pickle some of it. I will also be canning tomatoes, peppers, spaghetti sauce, salsa and anything else I can come up with.

I made two loaves of bread today so we would have fresh bread.  It always seems to be fresh when I bake bread because it never last long enough to get stale.  I sliced it and we had grilled cheese for lunch on it. YUM

Aren't these two the cutest!


3 comments: